Progress

Counties Birded
 
Counties 0 Counties 254

Monday, March 20, 2017

My Own Backyard

American Bittern
"you can't see me"
I was talking to Make Scheuerman last week mentioning my trouble finding an American Bittern this year. Mark mentioned that they are abundant at Brazos Bend State Park right now. Since the park is not far from my house I decided to go check it out.

I got a late start and made it to the park by 9 am. Lots of the usual suspects calling. I made my way down to the lake and I hadn't taken 100 steps before I found two American Bitterns for Year Bird 333. I continued down the path and found a total of 4 Bitterns in about a quarter mile.

It was early and I decided to see if there was any action at Quintana Neotropical Bird Sanctuary on the coast.

When I got there almost right away I saw a Black-and-white Warbler at the front drip, a very good sign. I made my way around and had a couple of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds chased each other. A Waterthrush zipped by but I couldn't ID it to species.

Louisiana Waterthrush
I made another circle and the Waterthrush zipped out of sight just as I made the bend again. I sat down and waited. After about five minutes the bird came out to the drip. Louisiana Waterthrush was Year Bird 334. This was my 13th warbler of the year and actually only the first migrant, all the other's were wintering birds.

As I was leaving the sanctuary a Northern Parula popped up to add to the migrants, its starting to feel like spring has sprung.

I decided to check out the beach and jetty, that potential Purple Sandpiper isn't going to find itself. Since it was spring break  I was a little afraid of what I would find but the cool temperatures must have kept most away.


At the base of the jetty I did find a few Sandwich Terns for Year Bird 335, another bird I expected to have already. I walked to the end of the jetty and back but found no Purple Sandpiper. I'll be back to look again soon though!

No comments:

Post a Comment