Progress

Counties Birded
 
Counties 0 Counties 254

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka

Williamson's Sapsucker
A group of up to four Williamson Sapsuckers were raiding a Madrone tree high up in the Davis Mountains at Mr. H's bunker. It rained all night and the road would be dicey but the G-man and I headed out at first light. We arrived at the bunker about 8:30 am, it was cool and some wind still. Mr. H said lets go see if they are still here.

Williamson's Sapsucker
(Female)
On the deck it too less than 30 seconds to find the adult male, Williamson's Sapsucker was Year Bird 482. We hung out and watched the action for a while, tallying five species of woodpeckers adding Red-naped Sapsucker, Northern Flicker, Acorn Woodpecker, and Ladder-backed Woodpecker.

The G-man and Mr. H had a job to complete and I had all the birds known to be in the Davis Mountains at the time. My original plan was to head for Dog Canyon in the Guadalupe Mountains and prospect for montane species, but the road to Dog Canyon was closed again. I decided to try McKittrick Canyon.

I got there at 1 pm Mountain Time and had 5 hours before the gate would be locked. I though I just had enough time to make to the Grotto and set out at a 40 minute a mile pace. The first mile and a half had most of the birds. I had several Mountain Chickadees. At one point I thought to myself "Is that a meadowlark?" then realized it was a pair of Scott's Orioles singing. I was trying to locate it for a picture when a warbler flew into the tree. I suddenly realized I was looking at a mostly clear yellow face and a dark chest. Hermit Warbler was Year Bird 483.

Black-throated Gray Wartbler
A bit further down the trail I did my Western Screech Owl imitation and really go a response. At first I thought I had five Mountain Chickadees, then I realized two were Black-throated Gray Warblers. Then two Virginia's Warbler came in, then two Townsend's Warblers. At one point I had all six warblers in the field of view. Then six Western Tanagers came in at once. Another Townsend's made an appearance for a total of three. It was easily the best migrant flock I've ever had in the Guads.

I passed the Pratt Cabin and thought I had time to get to the Grotto. About a half mile from the Grotto I realized I might be cutting it close before the gate closed so decided to head back. I tried my screech-owl call again and got nothing. Then I tried my Northern Pygmy Owl call and it seemed that something answered, I thought I was hearing a series of slow toots back, but far up the slope. I listen and it called again. I tooted more. No response. I called again. It tooted more and it seemed to move closer, still too far away to see. It was slow, clear and the notes longer and more clear than any chipmunk or squirrel I've never heard. In July John and I heard something we couldn't decide on. Since then I've found recordings of the chipmunk in the Guads and it never had notes this clear and long. Rock Squirrels always seem more of a high pitched bark to me than a toot. Was this a Northern Pygmy-Owl?

In a big year no one get to thumb up or down a bird on your list. Its all you and you have to live with yourself. In the end you have to ask yourself, does it feel right to have this bird on my list? I know I heard something different than July, but I just didn't feel right about putting it on the list.Northern Pygmy-Owl is going to have to wait this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment