Progress

Counties Birded
 
Counties 0 Counties 254

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Strike Two!

Saturday after noon John B texted me and asked if I was interested in chasing the Sabine's Gull at Mitchell Lake in San Antonio. I hard learned of the bird too late to chase it on Saturday and was planning a Sunday chase anyway, so I suggested I pick him up at 5 am Sunday morning.

Pretty uneventful drive and we pulled in right at 8 am opening time. As soon as I walked up on the porch of the visitor center a gentleman who knew me said to me "it was hear until 6 pm last night" Funny how my presence is always linked to a bird.

Lesser Scaup
Salt Lake Guadalupe County
We headed out and watched the lake for a long time, enjoying the company of many birders. Sabine's Gull seems to be a 3 day bird pretty often. After about 5 hours of scanning for the gull we had to call it a dip.  Strike two on Sabine's Gull. This appeared to be a one day wonder that we missed. Back to Houston and better luck next time.

We stopped at Salt Lake in Guadalupe County on the way home. This lake is always worth a quick check I think. It was really full and had only a few birds. Up by the dam though there was a Lesser Scaup for the days most unusual bird I think. I'll take it as a consolation prize.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a drake Ring-necked Duck but I could be seeing things. The back looks blackish.

    ReplyDelete